Monday, September 22, 2008

The First Few Days

I keep hoping that these past few days have not been a "honeymoon period" and that she will continue to do as well as she has since arriving. We have had minimal problems with her. She is listening well and getting along with Viktor beautifully. He has really stepped up and taken on the role of big brother. He has been patient with her and very attentive to her needs. When she first saw her bedroom, she about flipped. There were Barbies there, along with some accessories-swimming pool, car, furniture, clothes, etc. Viktor was very good about helping her set up her Barbie town. She also spent hours making jewelry with a bead set she got as a gift. The only problems we have had with her are when she gets overstimulated. This has happened a few times. Saturday we went to the mall to hear Viktor's boys chorus sing. She loved watching the performance but got a little hyper as we were walking through the mall. We had to get out of there as soon as Viktor's concert was over. Sunday we had quite a few family members stop by to meet her. She did alright at first but then I had to ask them to leave as she started having trouble listening. We spent the rest of Sunday at home relaxing and she did much better. Today Masha and I started some school work. I plan on staying home with her for about five weeks and then she'll start in 3rd grade at the school where I teach. I worked with her today on letters and numbers. She definitely catches on quickly and seemed to enjoy the learning. I was a bit worried because in Ukraine she vowed she would not learn English and that everyone in America would have to speak Russian to her. It didn't take her long to figure out that's not happening! Well, my solitude has ended. She just came into the room asking for something. I, of course, don't understand her and she doesn't understand me. Thus goes our days.

1 comment:

Hanh Do said...

Wow, I still can't believe that Masha is finally here. I think that she is just overwhelmed with everything that has happened to her in the last few months. I just can't imagined what's it like to be loved and welcomed by someone who you barely know. I admire you so much Cathy.