Friday, September 26, 2008

Masha at School

I have been taking Masha to school the past few days for just an hour or so at a time.  I wanted to see how she would handle it.  She and the students in her class have done very well.  Her teacher, my good friend Lea, has made it a positive experience for her.  The first day she didn't want to go. The second day she came bounding down the stairs with her backpack on and ready for school.  Whenever I mention her teacher's name she smiles. To prepare for her time at school, Masha labors over her hair.  This is what she ends up with.  What you can't see is the third ponytail sticking out of the back of her head.  She also puts every barrette she owns into her hair-front and back!!!  I figured that the other kids would kind of make faces at her hair and then she would alter it the next time.  When the kids saw her hair they all exclaimed, "Oh, it's beautiful!'  Shows what I know.  The smile really speaks to Masha's outlook on life.  She truly is a happy girl who brightens up whatever spaces she's in.  Today she did an addition worksheet while at school.  She had been having trouble with this a few days ago but was able to do it independently today.  She couldn't wait to show me the paper and the happy face on top.  As soon as she saw Viktor, she showed him her accomplishment.  It is now hanging on the refrigerator for all to see.  I have noticed that she is enthusiastic about learning.  I hope this continues.

4 comments:

Kitty said...

That's sooooo fantastic! I'm glad that she is having a good time at school. I still see a few open spaces on her head. I'll be sure to pick up some more barrettes (ooh, I can't spell, can I?) for her. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys for continued wonderfulness!!

Susan said...

This picture surely brought back the memories - the younger of my two cousins from Ukraine gave herself a very similar hairstyle, complete with about twelve of her brand-new rainbow-hued barrettes and two chiffon bows, upon her arrival at home two and a half years ago just before her seventh birthday. The interesting hairstyle didn't last (she usually chooses braids or a pony tail these days, with only one or two barrettes and bows), but the memory and the photos always make me smile!

Have fun with your lovely new daughter - what a blessing. It sounds as if she's thriving.

Best wishes,
Susan in Ky
Cousin to two from Ukraine

Hanh Do said...

It's a new hairstyle Cathy. What's wrong with you. Oh, forgot, ur old. Just kidding. Love her hair. You should just count your blessings that she does her own hair. Kaelei hardly ever wants to do anything with her hair besides brushing it. She is so darn cute.

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Hi, I just found your blog. I wish I had known about it while you were in Ukraine.

Our daughter is 12 and has been home 5 months.

For some reason, this is an 'orphanage' hairdo. They all take every barrette in a pack and line it up in their hair! Your daughter was a little conservative. It looks like she only has 3 or 4. lol It took me a few months to convince her to just use one or two. lol

Pigtails are another orphanage option. I can't figure it out:0

June