Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sunday, Aug. 3

I am at an internet cafe so I have some time to elaborate. When we landed in Kiev we had already figured our luggage hadn't made it. Luckily, we found someone who spoke English and filled out all the necessary forms. As I sit here almost 24 hours later, we still do not have any of our 7 bags!! We are hoping to meet up with them today.

We were met at the airport by our translator, Olga. She had brought along a second driver, Sasha. We needed him to help with all our luggage! Of course we had to pay extra for him to come-what a waste of money. They took us grocery shopping and got us settled in our apartment. It's a two bedroom place with one bathroom and a kitchen. It's in a very nice area of Kiev. We are right near where the president's offices are. There are guards around the area all the time.

We got settled and then all took naps. In the evening, we met Ann and Bill. They are doing missionary work in Kiev. We made our way to their apartment and had a very nice dinner and great conversation. It was a great way to begin our trip here. I'm always a bit nervous when first getting to a foreign country. Touching base with fellow Americans really helped ease the nerves. We are hoping to help with their Bible Camp on Monday. They have neighborhood kids come for two hours to hear bible stories and play. We are so grateful for Ann and Bill's hospitality. We negotiated our way back to our apartment on the metro all by ourselves!! It really helps that Brynn has some knowledge of the language.

We went to bed around 9 p.m. and were all up by about 5 a.m. We'll see how long it takes to get on a normal schedule. Of course, for me, that is my normal working schedule. Today we are meeting up with a young man named Dima. He was recommended as a tour guide for us. He will take us on a tour of Kiev. We are all looking forward to this.

Well, that's it for now. I'll catch you up on things soon. Tomorrow is our appointment to start the process of choosing a girl to adopt.

3 comments:

Kevin and Tammy said...

We will be praying for your tomorrow as you have your appointment. Have a great time exploring.
Tammy

sh said...

Your luggage issues will just make your story that much more interesting. I hope you will be sending pictures as I doubt I will ever see Kiev in person. Take care of each other and have fun.

Sharie

Dave Baldwin said...

I lost my luggage one time coming to Ukraine. We went straight to Vinnitsa, so was without it for 7 days. We were doing construction work on a church. My roommate gave me a pair of his pants to wear on the worksite. He was about six inches shorter than me and about 30 pounds heavier. I'll let you fill in the details on that one.
I have several good friends in Kiev. I'll be interested to follow you adventures here.
Blessings on you all.
Dave Baldwin